What is Macular Degeneration?
Macular degeneration, also known as age-related macular degeneration (AMD), affects the central part of the retina called the “macula”. Macular degeneration is the most common cause of blindness in adults over the age of 65.
- Due to breakdown of the central Retina (Macula), leading to decreased central vision.
- Dr. Pandya says ‘just like gray hairs and wrinkles, our risk of macular degeneration increases as we have more birthdays’.
- Family history, smoking and uncontrolled blood pressure can cause this to develop.
- We encourage you to quit smoking – a major modifiable factor in this condition.
- If you are over 50 years old and have a family member with Macular Degeneration, please contact Dallas Retina Center for an evaluation.
- Our goal is to maximize your vision and improve your quality of life.
Learn more about Macular Degeneration:
As President of the American Retina Forum, Dr. Pandya continues to be a leader within the Vitreoretinal community both locally and nationwide. Dr. Pandya strives to provide personalized and compassionate care for all of his patients.